Pinewood Derby Race Timer
The race timer is an Arduino based timer with a robust and flexible design which allows it to be easily constructed and modified to meet your specific needs. Features of the race timer include:
- Easily expandable from 1 to 6 lanes
- Supports (optional) solenoid start gate circuit
- Supports (optional) lane place/time digital displays
- Works standalone or can be interfaced to software running on a PC
- Supports lane masking, start gate status check, force end of race
Interfacing the race timer to software running on a computer (Windows, Mac or Linux) allows races to be managed and allows you to record and archive car run times as you test and tune your Pinewood Derby car(s). See the Software page for details. The race timer is currently compatible with the following software:
- Free PD Test/Tune/Track (PDT3) software utility (Windows only)
- The popular Grand Prix Race Manager software (Windows, Mac)
- Pinewood Master software (Mac only)
- DerbyNet software (Windows, Mac or Linux)
Visit the following pages to see more information on building and using the race timer:
Information and photos to aid in the construction of the race timer including circuits, wiring and the hardware enclosure.
Configuration of the timer sketch for the race timer including interfacing the timer to race management software running on a PC.
Problems or have a question? Check here for a list of commonly asked questions and other troubleshooting tips.
Last updated: 15 Aug 2020