Based on a design by Jesus Carrillo the Pinewood Derby car scale is a microcontroller-based scale that will aid the advanced racer in fine tuning their derby car. The flexible design of the scale allows it to be easily constructed and modified to meet your specific needs. Features of the car scale include:
- Utilizes three 100g (3.5 oz) load cells - one for each wheel of the car
- Features a color display to graphically present weight information
- Displays weight and distribution (%) at each wheel in addition to total car weight
- Graphically indicates the car's approximate center of gravity
- Displays weight in ounces or grams
- Configurable to display front wheel weight on left or right side
- Features a Tare function
- Scale can be calibrated utilizing a 50g reference weight
The car scale utilizes a Teensy 4.0 (or optionally an Arduino Due) microcontroller and operates as standalone unit, no computer is required to operate the scale.
Visit the following pages to see more information on building and using the car scale:
Information and photos to aid in the construction of the car scale including circuit wiring, hardware considerations and enclosure ideas.
Instructions on uploading the software (sketch) to the microcontroller plus operating instructions for the scale.
Problems or have a question? Check here for a list of commonly asked questions and other troubleshooting tips.
Created: 6 Sep 2020Last updated: 20 Dec 2020